Yardley Historical Association
The Old Library by Lake Afton
In 1977, the Yardley Historical Association assumed responsibility for the maintenance and upkeep of the “Old Library” by Lake Afton. The historic library is used as the Association’s headquarters and may be rented for weddings and other events.
The original Yardleyville Library Company was established in 1845. Samuel Slack was appointed librarian with an annual salary of $1.00. The subscription library was housed in a room over Mr. Slack’s store (the site of the present Continental Tavern).
In the 1870’s the citizens of Yardleyville erected a library building on land donated by the heirs of William Yardley who settled in the area in 1682 on land purchased from William Penn. The Yardleyville Library was completed in 1878. The building’s style, known as “carpenter” Gothic, features a steep gable roof, decorative slate work, and pointed arched windows. The design was possibly copied from an old volume of poetry.
In 1959, after the building was threatened by a proposed route for Interstate 95, several local residents donated funds for an addition in keeping with the original architectural style. The building was used as a community library until 1977, when a branch of the Bucks County Library was constructed outside of town in Lower Makefield Township.
In September, 2016, the Yardley Historical Association gratefully announced the establishment of the Florence McEvoy Lendo Endowment Fund. Dr. Arthur J. Lendo and his family generously launched the Fund in order to ensure the preservation and maintenance of the historic Old Library by Lake Afton. The Fund honors the Lendos’ mother, who, during the 1960’s and 70’s, was the assistant librarian at what was then the Yardley Public Library.
The Old Library may be rented for meetings and special occasions.
Please call 215-493-6625 for more information.
Support the Yardley Historical Association by joining us today!
Rent the Old Library space to host your meeting or special occasion.